Monday, October 4, 2010

Part II: With me, what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas...

SATURDAY

Up and at 'em bright and early!! Before I even left the hotel room I had to have a couple of slices of zucchini loaf so I could take my vitamins and fish oil. Then it was down to the meeting room. We got situated and ready for our attendees and then I went to find what I could of food. I ended up with some hot water, 2 slices pineapple and about 1/3 cup berries. Thus my breakfast was 1/2 cup instant oatmeal (made with the hot water of course) with 1 scoop protein powder, berries and 1/4 cup walnuts. I ate the pineapple separately. It was tasty.

Here are how my meals played out in a hotel at a meeting from 6:30am till 4:45pm:
Before 1) 2 slices zucchini loaf
1) as listed above
2) Zucchini loaf
3) Puffed kamut cake with 1 T peanut butter and honey
4) From the meeting lunch: Romaine salad with some garlicky parmesan tomatoes topped with  2-3 oz swordfish and 3 oz tuna from the pack (that I brought) and balsamic vinegar and olive oil, a cup of spinach, chicken, egg soup (pretty tasty actually - must make it myself), 1 dinner roll with nuts in it (of course that was delicious - it's BREAD!!!)
5) Chicken muffins
6) Chocolate protein cake with 1 T PB
7) Throwdown dinner at TODD'S UNIQUE DINING in Henderson, NV

The highlight of the day was eating at TODD'S!! I love, love, love this place! I'm not sure what I like most about it. I stumbled upon this restaurant quite by accident and love it and have been back to it every year since I found it and once 2 times in a year. I actually met the owner and head chef Todd and he is very cool, very nice and knows his food. The food is always ridiculously fresh and the flavors are fantastic! I only wish it were a little closer to my home because then I could go more often. If you live anywhere near Henderson, NV you should definitely check it out. Or if you're visiting Vegas and feel a need to get off the strip and have a nice relaxing decently priced meal then head on over to Todd's. You'll love it! Here comes our meal...as only photos can do it justice!!

BREAD BASKET
White bread brushed with garlic olive oil and caraway with raisins
and the fluffiest whipped butter EVER



Flash fried Calamari and Rock Shrimp, spiced and smoky dipping sauce

Seared Scallops wild mushroom potatoes and pistachio butter

Grilled Skirt steak "On Fire” chili cheese fries and black bean sauce



Apple Cobbler with homemade Cinnamon Ice Cream

So, my review of Toidd's? GO HERE!! You must go to Todd's if you live anywhere near Vegas. It's such a nice break from the strip and the food is always very fresh and it's just a relaxing atmosphere and the flavors are so unique and just tantalize your tongue! I always get the same main course but switch up the appetizer, salad, and/or dessert. The calamari was amazing! Just my kind of thing - the batter/breading was very light and it paired so well with the pickled sliced chilies it was served with. My Skirt Steak "On Fire" was just as amazing as always - this meat is marinated for 3 days and with 7 different chilies. The flavor is so incredible! And the meat is incredibly tender! And then the fries, well, what can I say? They're handcut and then they have jack and cheddar cheese melted on top with some Chinese fermented black bean sauce! Seriously, I can't even tell you how good it is. RIDICULOUS!! This dish will have me going back to Todd's for many, many years to come. My friend's scallops were beautiful and the flavor was amazing. And the wild mushroom mashed potatoes that came with them were to die for as well. Then there was the Fresh Apple Cobbler and the INDESCRIBABLE homemade cinnamon ice cream! That ice cream mixed with the hot apple cobbler was almost too much for me!! This was the BEST dinner! I loved every morsel.

So, did I eat too much? Yes, definitely. We had to go walk around after that meal. And so we did. We walked around the Palazzo and Venetian and people watched. It seemed like each young girls we passed had on a short low cut dress and high heels but then the next young girl would pass us with an even shorter, lower cut dress and even higher heels!! And you could tell that very few of them are even semi-comfortable dressed this way since they were constantly pulling the skirt down or the dress up. It was just entertaining. Who knows? I could have been like that when I was younger but I really don't remember. I did wear some short things and some high heels but it just seems a bit much these days! Yes, I am an old fuddy duddy! LOL!!!

SUNDAY

Final day in Vegas! Yeah! I only had to work about half the day then it was off to the airport and home to good ol' Los Angeles!!! It sure gives you an appreciation for where you live and what you have at home!

My meals for Sunday were okay but I was ready to get home and eat right:
Before 1) 2 slices zucchini loaf
1) Same as yesterday but no nuts because I forgot
2) Zucchini loaf and then cereal bar later
3) Chef salad from the Bistro in the Venetian (minus the bleu cheese and bacon - well I had about a teaspoon of bacon bits) topped with sherry vinaigrette - very yummy salad. Fortunately (or unfortunately if you want to view it that way)  the salad was served with white rolls that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside and they were WARM and there was a lot of butter! Oh yes, I ate TWO of those and enjoyed every single bite! 
4) 4 Ethel's chocolates that I bought at the airport - lemon creme, macadamia toffee, pina colada truffle, pecan cluster (turtle) - okay, their chocolates are really yummy and made locally in Vegas
After I got home from the airport I headed straight for the blender and made a 
5) Mighty green ginger smoothie - celery, fresh ginger root, spinach, 1 zucchini, lime juice, stevia, cider vinegar and aloe juice
6) Bun with pork and shrimp and Imperial rolls (like an egg roll but much better) from a Vietnamese restaurant - the bun is glass noodles with pork, shrimp, cilantro, mint, carrot and served with a sweet/tart sauce. Of course I add some of their homemade chili sauce and it's such a fresh and tasty noodle dish!

I thought I was going to just eat salad when I got home because I was dying for vegetables but that was not the case. My BF picked me up at the airport (so nice of him!) and then we came to my place, I made my smoothie and drank it. So tasty. Then it was off to the beach for a quick drill workout (maybe 30 minutes or so) before the sunset. It was so nice to be in fresh air, at the beach even though it was cold. I was hot once we got started. It was great!!! Then we hit the Vietnamese restaurant after. It was a great way to come back to L.A.

To sum up my trip to Vegas, it actually was a good time and I enjoyed some really amazing food! I love eating food that I don't cook and just being able to enjoy, truly truly enjoy a meal! That is what life is made of. I'm so glad I'm not a guilty eater or that weekend would have just about killed me, right? I just enjoyed it and knew that whatever damage that food might do I was returning to L.A. and would have control over my food and workouts soon enough!

Today I have the day off of work and I'm just taking it easy and preparing for my week since I have to get ready to get a year older on Friday!! Woohoo!! My birthday is coming!!!! 

It's off to get some things done. If a workout fits in my schedule today great and if not I'm just going to have to hit it hard for the rest of the week. Although my weight barely changed over the weekend (131 today), my body composition certainly did so it's back to hard workouts, clean eating and a little extra cardio this week. 

Hope you're all off to a great start for your week. It's going to be a good one.


"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."  ~Scottish Proverb


No comments: