I also just finished reading Apolo's book Zero Regrets (in just 3 days!) and I'm now highly motivated. I know what I want and I'm going to go get it! I will do all I can to become the person I really want to be. I have more direction now than I have in a long time. Probably since I decided I would do a figure competition, about 19 months ago. I have two very main goals in mind and I have to do some research to see how exactly to make sure those come to fruition. One may not be possible and I probably won't know for for sure until the end of this year. But the other one is definitely possible and it's just a matter of finding the path that will get me to that destination. It's just awesome! I feel the fire in my belly and I can't wait to get started. I'm sorry not to share my goals with you but I don't want outside opinions to douse my inner fire. I'm sure you all understand. But believe me, as my dreams/goals shape into realities you will most certainly be made aware of them and learn my battles/struggles and accomplishments/successes along the way.
As I was reading the book I kept thinking about why recently I haven't had the motivation that I had during my contest prep and then it became abundantly clear to me that I didn't have big enough goals for myself. I didn't have anything that was scaring the hell out of me and exciting me at the same time. I think without that fear that I, personally, don't have the motivation necessary. I want to be able to say that I have done all I can to reach my goals no matter what. I'm sure I will trip, stumble, and fall but I'll get up again, learn many things along the way about myself, others and life in general. I have fear of my goals and that is PERFECT! I can't imagine a better way to live. It's the reason I had a highly successful contest prep. It didn't matter how I placed, my goal was to get to the stage and do my first figure competition ever at the age of 43. My goal was to push myself physically into a state I never had before. I now know that if I can do that at 43 there are many more things I can do. Absolutely! No doubt about it!
As I get older, I tend to limit myself thinking that I can't start a career path at this age! That's insane. What if it doesn't work? What if I don't succeed? What about how much older I'll be if I go to school or spend that time getting a certification, education? I'll be how old?!? Nearing 50? And just starting a new career? What am I thinking? And what about the money? How is THAT going to work out? But not any more! Now I must think that I will and can and I have to find the path to do it. So with all that fuel I am going to find a way to make MY dreams come true, to make MY life the absolute best I can make it so that when I get to the end of my life I can say that I did the best I could. I made the best life possible for ME with the tools I had and the will only I possess! It's up to me. No more sitting on my laurels. It's MY TIME!!!
So like I titled this post, watch out world because here I come! The new and improved Erin! The person I was destined to be is starting to take shape right now...right here! You'll see and hopefully I will only serve as inspiration to those that want to chase their dreams regardless of their age!
“The age of a woman doesn't mean a thing. The best tunes are played on the oldest fiddles.”
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.”
~Mark Twain
“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing in life is to keep your mind young.” ~Henry Ford
4 comments:
Erin! I love this! Good for you, your attitude is so great, I'm really excited for you. Work towards those goals, however big or small, because you can most definitely do anything you set your mind to! I might have to read that book, your optimism is catchy... =)
Thanks Lisa! I LOVED the book as you can tell. I'm sure, like anything, it's not for everyone but it really brought my motivation around again. And I needed THAT! Let me know if you read it. I would be curious what you think!
The book is on hold for me at the library and I can't wait to hear what you are up to!!!
Ooh, so exciting Donloree. You'll have to let me know what you think. The library must LOVE you! Haha! I can't wait to tell you what I'm up to. In time, of course. ;-)
Post a Comment