How much "fake" food should you eat really? I often question this for myself and others that I see eat waaaaaaayyyy too much sugar free this, fat free that, no carb this and fakey fake that!!! I just don't see how it can be healthy. I'm sure that no matter what you're eating if you're eating too much of it, it's too much. But it scares me a little how so many people that are living the figure/bikini competition lifestyle and beyond go so overboard on the sugar free stuff in particular. And quite honestly I even think the fat free items are out of control. I'm a true believe in moderation of all things. If you've been on my blog for any amount of time, you will know this.
So here's my observation for myself. Now I'm not saying it's true or even scientific, just an observation. When I was doing my prep I was on a sugar free search. I knew of every sugar free thing ever conceived I think. I didn't ever go down the sugar free syrup road since I think that would lead to self-destruction. Not that I'm even a big syrup fanatic but it would make me want worse I think! So I was basically on the 1-3 sugar free popsicles a day as well as sugar free candy and gum! It was crazy. I would also drink sugar free soda but didn't feel like that was doing the same damage since it was Zevia or Blue Sky made with stevia and not Splenda. It seemed like the more I ate the more I craved it. So I would eat more and more of it so at the end of my prep I was in sugar substitute heaven! And beyond that I would eat more and more stevia! I started with a half packet in my tea in the afternoon and then it became one packet by the end. Since I am NOT a sweet tea person and actually had weened myself off of sweetener in my sugar I knew something was up but didn't really notice. Not until about 3-4 months post-competition. Then I would grab my stevia packet to put in my tea and would end up not putting it in. And now I am once again sweetener free in my tea!
So my question then became WHY? Why is it that when you're on a competition diet do you crave sweets and eat more and more? It became dangerous! Since my competition I have added REAL sweeteners back into my diet. I don't eat much sugar but I'm also NOT opposed to it. I will use REAL syrup, REAL sugar, REAL honey, and REAL molasses. I don't even use much at all but just enough to get that flavor. And guess what? I rarely crave sweets! So interesting!
The same goes with having some fat once in a while. Yes, on occasion I do use REAL butter. It's rare but I would rather put REAL butter in my mashed cauliflower than I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray. I use it just for flavor anyway so I don't need much. And how about the fat free yogurt and cottage cheese? Again I say have some REAL yogurt and REAL cottage cheese - if not the full fat then maybe just the 2%.
My point being that all that restriction seems to make me crave more of that taste or flavor. Whereas if I just have a little of whatever I'm craving I seem to get over that craving instantly. It's just a thought and I would definitely be curious as to how many of you would have to agree with me or have a different point of view where this is concerned. If you don't believe me, do an experiment on yourself and see how you feel eating REAL food items instead of FREE (fat, sugar, carb). You might be surprised!
So KEEP IT REAL people! In moderation...but REAL!!
4 comments:
Erin, I am so glad you brought this to attention. First, I think it's interesting that every competition prep is different and every trainer has a different approach to nutrition. For my first prep, my trainer had me on a very strict diet. I ate the same thing at the same time every day for essentially the entire 12 weeks. During that first prep, I was allowed a little bit of agave syrup each day and a little bit of fruit. She did this because at the time I had a major sugar addiction (thank you husband!). That little bit of sugar helped me every bit of the way. But I wasn't allowed any stevia or artificial sweeteners at all(except sugar free gum). My condiments were limited to vinegar and mustard. During my second prep, I was allowed a bit more leeway with my nutrition. I could choose my proteins, veggies, and carbs within reason. The agave syrup was taken away and still no sweeteners allowed. I must admit the sweet tooth came back a bit, but not as bad. I've discovered stevia and I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've started adding it to my morning coffee where before I never sweetened my coffee.
I love to bake and I always do so with real sugar, butter, and eggs. It's just not the same without it.
I'm all about real foods and eating everything in moderation. Some days it is easier than others, but I just take it one day at a time.
I'm interested to see what happens during my next prep. I looking to change up trainers for a different perspective.
Liz, that is interesting, isn't it? I wonder if I had eaten fruit and some agave if that would have just taken away the edge. But hmmm...who knows? It just seems like the human body can handle natural food so much better than "fake". Let me know what happens in your next prep. Hope you're healing well!!!
Erin, very interesting!!! I have a question is stevia considered a "fake" sugar.
Hi Robert. No stevia is not fake. It's all natural. I was just trying to make the point that the more sweetener I eat, the more I crave. Stevia, like anything else is just fine in moderation. I'm sure it also has some side effect eaten in excessive quantities. Thanks for asking!
Post a Comment