One of our patients at my work passed away last month at the age of 89, married for 63 years with numerous children and grandchildren, and a very genuine and kind man. His family found something in his desk that he had started writing about his life. His wife gave us an abbreviated copy of it. It was only 2 pages long but it was a beautiful piece of writing. I'm writing a few of my more favorite points below:
* I believe in the dignity of labor.
* While in the process of being educated, a most redeeming byproduct is the association with others from all backgrounds, understanding man's responsibilities to his fellow man and tolerance of all the other characteristics that make all of us "different" in some way.
* I think the accomplishments of a career are so much more personally rewarding when ethical behavior has been in play.
* Happiness is a solo flight - each person decides the state of happiness or despair and needs help sometimes.
* Human nature requires reward for effort, so be generous with your employees and people that provide you with services. It will be a personally rewarding gesture.
And finally...
* It's so easy to be nice - be nice!
I feel fortunate that in my life I have people like this cross my path. They have a lot to teach me about life and living it the right way. I love people and getting to know all kinds of people. And I love the challenge that this piece of writing has given me...the challenge to be nice. It seems so simple but there are plenty of times that I can't believe the things that are coming out of my mouth or even just the thoughts that swirl in my head about others, but particularly about me. My head is polluted! The time has come...it's time to be nice. Anyone care to join me?
4 comments:
isn't that the truth....how easy it can be to be nice.
What a great reminder in a beautiful lesson...I feel we can learn so much from our elders.
Wow. Loved this : )
Thanks Nini! Hope you're doing well! Glad you loved it like I do!
Erin that is so true! So very true. I always go by treating people the way I want to be treated. I go out of my way to be nice to people, even strangers. I support my friends and family 100%, even if I feel what they are doing is wrong or immoral because I want to be there for them no matter what. Mainly because I feel like people aren't always that way to me. My mom has taught me how to be so sweet and nice and caring and I love her for that! What's the point of being mean or rude to people? To make yourself feel better? People who have that kind of attitude and behavior get no place in this girls world!! =)
LOVE it Lisa! You seem as nice as you must be then. Good job your mom did. It's nice to meet nice people. Thanks for writing!
Post a Comment