We had soooo much fun while they were here. We shopped, ate out, laughed, went to the beach, got makeovers, went to a "fancy" dinner, shopped some more, ate lots of burgers and fries, went to the Aquarium of the Pacific, and just had a fantastically fun time! So fun! And they're such great people! I'm really lucky to have them and to get to spend that kind of time with them. It was amazing!
In a nutshell what I've learned about me over the past month or so while "living" instead of being in this incredibly structured lifestyle with little room for error or time/energy to figure out what I truly like to eat, when I like to sleep, when and what I like to do for workouts, what other activities I enjoy, etc. This break was very necessary for me and this is what I learned:
1) Best workout time: I am NOT a morning workout person. For over a year I've been getting up early to get my workouts in. I thought I was enjoying that. And I like it for the fact that there are much fewer people in the gym at 5:30 in the morning than at night. However, I ENJOY morning time. I like to get up, shower and relax into my day. So that is what I will be doing from here forward. I actually think I will be working and then going home to eat and THEN going to work out so probably work out around 7:30 or so. I'll try this for a month or so and see how I feel.
2) Best sleep time: I get the best sleep and feel most rested when I go to sleep around 10:30 or 11:00 and wake up around 6:30 or 7:00 or so. It works so much better for me and I don't feel like I'm constantly fighting myself to get in bed. "Come on Erin...get in bed!" Nope. None of that so that's one less stress I have.
3) Have prepared food available: I love having food readily available. I definitely have to make some food items in advance that I can freeze and just pull out and eat if I so desire. I LOVE to take the time to make a meal when I have the time. But I don't always have the time so I have to be prepared for when I'm ready to eat.
4) Have a plan: On that note, I do think it's best for me to have a meal plan and workout plan. With flexibility in it but a general plan. I'm working on that today and starting it tomorrow or possibly Monday. What a way to celebrate the Fourth of July, huh? I'm a party animal, what can I say?
5) Vegetables: I really am not CRAZY about vegetables. Yes, I can try to talk myself into it and yes, I do like and even LOVE some vegetables but I am definitely NOT crazy about them. I, for one, do not like salad! I know...sin, sin! But I don't. I used to when I was younger but that was when I put all kinds of bad things on there. I would rather have roasted veggies or crudite dipped in some herbed Greek yogurt or tzatziki. But lettuce? Nah...it's not for me. I love all other veggies but not brussel sprouts or okra.
6) Fruits: I LOVE fruit! LOVE it! I really do. And there is no better time to eat fruit than in the summer. I also know that I have to limit my fruit. But to go a whole summer without eating fruit was a terrible thing for me, psychologically, last year! My coach had me on no fruit and I wouldn't do that again. EVER! It's just not normal. I can have a piece of fruit a day and it should definitely NOT wreak havoc on a normally healthy system. So I'm putting my fruit back in. And it's staying in...FOREVER!
7) Fats: Even though I LOVE my carbs. I mean I can KILL a bowl of cereal or loaf of bread in no time flat! I just LOVE cereal, crackers and bread. I do. I can't lie. However, I actually think my body does better with more calories going toward fat (healthy fats of course...do I even need to say that?) than carbs. I will still have all my carbs like oatmeal, cereal, rice - both brown and white, yams, sweet potatoes, etc. but they will be less and my fats will be higher.
8) Lift weights: I really LOVE lifting weights. Oh boy, if I had known 10 years ago that I would be saying that today? HA! But I do. I just get in the gym now and really enjoy it. That has been a struggle for me up until about a year and a half ago or so when I started lifting with purpose and eventually knowledge and constantly learning about lifting and strength. It's exciting to get stronger and to know that you really can change your body significantly with weights and nutrition. It's pretty amazing.
9) Little to no cardio: Again, try to tell my 10-year-ago body and mind that and it would LAUGH at me! But yes, cardio is something that I don't really need to do other than some HIIT and some tabata. But the steady state cardio is not for me. I will still go blading because I love it but I'm loving taking "strolls" outside and breathing some fresh air instead of all this "gym" air and sucking it in while remaining in the same place for upwards of 30-45 minutes. Yes, I was a cardio bunny but no more. I still would like to take aerobics every once in a while but it's not necessary and I understand that now.
10) Downtime and unplugging: I don't think this is new to me but something that was really obvious to me as I was doing my move out and back into my apartment. I had times with no internet and no TV and I LOVED it. It was so relaxing and calming. And what more could you want. It's a great thing to be off all electronic devices for at least an hour before sleeping. It makes a WORLD of difference in my sleeping and energy level the next day.
So, armed with all this new knowledge, I am currently in the process of making a new plan for myself. I can't wait to get started and to ENJOY the process of continuing to learn about me, what works for me, and what makes ME the happiest and best me I can be. That's TRULY what it's all about. I may not be the happiest me I will ever be but I have made a promise to myself to LOVE me as I am and LOVE the journey that will most likely help me love me even MORE. So, here's to a new me! I hope this next leg of my journey is as interesting to all of you as it is to me! I truly am excited!
I actually have a few injuries that I'm recovering from so some of my workouts will look a little lame and they just have to be for right now. Between my bulging disc acting up in my low back, my tennis elbow in my left, my messed up right shoulder and tweaky right knee...well...let's just say things are going to take a while to feel good so patience will be of utmost importance.
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!
WOOT WOOT!!!
3 comments:
Fuit = YES!!!
I also hate salads and no longer eat them. I actually can't eat that many veggies in one day...things go wonky if I do. :)
I really like your new outlook and i lvoe the list. I think thats one thing I have missed through the last 6 months of contest prep (no fruit)
I was given one banana every 4 days and I relished for every morsel. I think that's one thing I am looking forward to re incorporating my diet.
And I think they will have to stay too. Same thing with carbs. I miss them.
And unplugging. I REALLY have to do that.
Perhaps a new challenge in 2 weeks!
Donloree...WONKY!!! You crack me up! Yes, wonky indeed. I just don't really care for salads!
Nini, less than 2 weeks?!? SO excited for you! Yes, fruit is LIFE! Haha! I love my fruit and as long as you keep it under control it won't do any damage to you. That's my opinion. ;-)
Post a Comment