Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Yes! December! We made it!

And now the craziness really begins! First of all, let me apologize for being MIA. This is what happens when you have a houseguest and are just too busy running around and enjoying their company! It was a great holiday weekend and we had so much fun. I love friends! They rock! So we ate a little more than usual, I think. Well, maybe not actually. I'm so used to eating 7 meals a day that I think I didn't eat that much more than usual but ate out quite a bit and also ate more at the meals that I DID eat. At any rate, my weight remained the same over the holiday weekend and I'm just hovering around 135-136. Great! That is FINE by me! I'll take it.

So what did we do while my friend was visiting?

1) Santa Monica Stairs: We ran the Santa Monica Stairs on Saturday. I did 9 rounds and my friend did 8. But she's much crazier than me so she actually RAN them a few times. When I say we "ran" the stairs I actually mean I walked them but you understand what I mean I'm sure! At any rate...it made us OLD...very, very OLD. Not while we were actually doing them but for the days following. We were so sore that we didn't work out again. We went for walks on Sunday and Monday which were very nice and the air was super clean because it had been windy but it is unusually cold this year. So we hobbled along with our calves that were as tight as the tightest rubber band you could ever find!!! Yes, it was painful!

2) Thanksgiving Dinner: Yes, you all know me and my rules for Thanksgiving. Well, I followed them to a T. Thank you very much. On the menu - turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry salad, candied yams, pumpkin pie, pumpkin pecan pie, apple pie, green bean casserole, steamed green beans, monkey bread. I think that about sums it up. And yes, I had a good portion of all of those and they were DELICIOUS!!! It was good food and grand company! Great Thanksgiving!

3) Shopping: Oh, yes, my friend can shop! She is going to keep LA. going with her fine purchases. We hit several stores and had some good finds. I am not really a shopping gal but I enjoy going with her because she really loves shopping/fashion/home decor. So it was fun.

4) Ate out: We went out to eat at some of our favorite haunts that include A Votre Sante (we went for salad and ended up with some Mexican or Southwest scramble that was very yummy), Bombay Cafe for yummy Indian, and Cafe Midi (I got the Salad with Grilled Steak With Shrimp, Asparagus, Avocado, Organic Greens & Feta - they have really delicious steak!). I also had to take her out for Chinese Dumplings so we headed to Dean Sin World in Monterey Park with my BF. We ordered Steamed Pork Bun, Wonton in Spicy Sauce, Pan Cake with Beef, Beef Noodle Soup, and Shrimp Wonton (wontons in broth). DELISH!! And so homemade tasting.

5) Worked out: We headed to the gym the day after Thanksgiving. We did shoulders and back and jumped rope after. Yes, my friend was subject to my jumprope addiction! I felt sorry for her. Just kidding!! We had a great workout together. It makes me wish I had someone like her to work out with regularly. That would be awesome!!

6) Relaxed: Need I say more? We both got to unwind and relax. Just hang out and just be. Talk, laugh and enjoy each other's company. Nothing is better than that.

Of course I had to make some things for her that I wanted her to try. So I made my Cranberry Orange Cereal Bars, Zucchini Loaf and Pumpkin Souffle. Oh, yes, she liked them all. I think the Cereal Bars might have been her favorite though.

So now we're into December. What are you doing to keep on track? To not go too crazy? I have made a decision for myself to just say no to the goodies on the table. I know how one can lead to another and so on and so on...You know how it goes. So just say no. I may take a few things to freeze and just have them when I want and deserve them post-holiday season. But for me this season I say no to the goodies that will most certainly fill the break table at work! That will keep me happier in the end. Yes, I'm sure they will be tasty and yes, I'm sure I will WANT them but no, I don't think I'll miss them terribly and no, I won't be sorry come January when I feel good about me, my body and my mind! Oh, by the way, I don't include my caramels in that say no category. But I do have only one to three at a time now and only a couple of times a week. That way I am safe. It's all about knowing what you can and can't eat and how to make it work best for you without losing your mind. Whatever you do don't tell yourself no for everything because that will most certainly end in a fine binge!! And no one wants that!

Make December a good month for you. Finish out your year strong. Enjoy your time with loved ones and find the joy in the season amidst the craziness.

My coach Gina put this on her site today and I thought I would share since I liked it so much. Enjoy!


“When we seek to discover the best in others, we somehow bring out the best in ourselves.”~William Arthur Ward 

No comments: