This year I have several goals and as I wrote last week I have action plans for them. This has been very big. While I'm not very happy with where I am physically, I am pretty happy with where I am mentally. Making these action items habits and working toward my goals daily has already helped to build up my self-esteem over the last week or so. It will be a good year of working toward my goals and feeling great satisfaction from that.
I also want to write about "listening to your body". I think it's important to have knowledge about health and fitness but for the average person it's hard to get educated correctly and from people who are open-minded. Bret Contreras posted this article from the New York Times about yoga on Facebook. While I find the article interesting I don't think it refers to all people nor do I think it's a reason to give up yoga for those that do it. The comments on his FB post made me think. I think so many people read one or more articles that back up what they already believe and run with that. I get it. We all have our opinions and biases. But in order to be the best and healthiest we can be, don't we need to keep our minds wide open? I've run the gamut on things that I think of as "healthy" and "not healthy". My opinions and views have changed over time. And I think that's a good thing. I think it's quite all right to think that something will help this or that and later take back that opinion as you have most likely learned something either through research or personal experience that has flipped that opinion on its head.
I just think it's funny when people slam crossfit or yoga or weightlifting or pilates or running barefoot. Whatever it is...people are so opinionated and I find it entertaining. Entertaining and a little discouraging. I think that in any sport or physical activity there are risks AND rewards! I guess the best way to approach any activity is with knowledge and an open mind. The article is written well and the research is thorough. I do understand what they're saying about yoga being viewed as all good and no one ever points out the negative impact that some poses can have on one's body. I have learned a lot through my yoga practice over many years. I started with Ashtanga yoga which has a lot of flow to it and you're not holding each pose a lot. I went from there to Iyengar and I've been other places in between. I love my classes I take now because they're very much into not doing poses you don't want to do or that feel too strenuous. And to hit child's pose any time you're too taxed. In fact they kind of encourage taking child's pose. At first I felt weird doing that but now I really try to listen to my body and just take child's pose if the pose I'm in is too much. I feel good about this change in my yoga practice.
I definitely think that many many people get swept up in conversation with their egos. The ego talks and people listen. Haha! Remember that ad for E.F. Hutton? "When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen."
That's for all you folks that weren't alive in 1979 or watching T.V. yet. Anyway, back to my subject at hand, egos and the conversations we have with them.
Ego: You can run faster than that.
Body: I can? No, I think I better not. I might strain something.
Ego: Really? But that guy/girl over there is running faster. C'mon! You can run faster!
Body: No, really I think I better stick with this slower...
Ego: That's it! We're running faster!
Body: Okay, we're running faster! Owwwww! (as the hamstring pulls from too fast a run too soon)
Body: Man, am I tired today. I think I'll lift lighter than usual so I don't hurt myself.I'm pretty sure we've all had similar conversations. So when people say they were listening to their bodies but still got hurt, can that really be true? Although I do believe it's hard to listen to your body when it's whispering and your ego's shouting. I agree with that! I'm so guilty of this myself. This is pretty much how I've gotten injured each time I've been injured. It's hard to back down when the ego says "GO FOR IT!" I know for myself that there have been times in yoga (in the past) when I've pushed myself too far. Well, let me restate that. Times in the past in yoga, inline skating, aerobics, weight lifting, etc. It's hard to know when to stop, particularly if you're competitive. I think I've gotten much better at listening to my body over the years and definitely with age comes a bigger losing streak for the ego and a much bigger winning streak for the body.
Ego: But there is that cute guy/girl over there that you're always trying to impress. What would they think of your weak self lifting weights? It's embarrassing really!
Body: True but I really don't want to injure myself.
Ego: Of course you don't. And you won't. Just lift heavy enough to impress them and they'll definitely notice you. C'mon! Go for it!
Body: Absolutely! Here I go! (rip...tear...pop) Ouch! OMG! Why did I DO that?!?
What conversations have you and your ego engaged in? Ooh, I think I'll write a book about that. That would be funny and entertaining! Also, are you a yogi? Did the aforementioned article scare you a little if you are?
2 comments:
I would really like to try yoga, I just haven't yet. I wanted to try the bikram and see how that is. I just can't seem to find time in my schedule. I'm not one to just be "with myself" you know? I would never knock someone elses sport or activity though, look, you're out there doing it, good! And yea, my ego and me, we are very competitive =)
Love this comment Lisa, particularly about you and your ego. I know you've been talking about yoga. The key is to try several studios and find one where you connect with the teacher. That will make ALL the difference. I hope you try it soon. :-)
Post a Comment