But the good news is that I have a new computer and now I
can make happy blogposts once again! It's really hard to blog when you don't
have a computer that works every day. Every other day just didn't cut it for
me. But yeah for me I have a new one!
I've been working out like a good girl and eating all right
but not great. Better but not the best I can. But to be honest I'm not sure I
know what "healthy" eating is anymore. I'm lost somewhere in that
thought process. Just not sure. I know I don't have to eat like I did for
contest prep but I did that kind of crazy "dieting" for so long I
forgot reality. And in some sense I've forgotten what is healthy and what is
not. And besides there new research every day about what is good for you and
what is bad for you. So, if I've got it straight I think that donuts and french
fries are good for you and should be eaten at every meal in large quantities
and veggies should be limited to once a day. Is that right? I must stop reading
about nutrition and do what feels good for my body. I truly dislike that it's
hard for me to discern that now when it used to be so easy for me.
And speaking of food, I think I've mentioned my aversion to
animal protein lately. Not all the time but often I don't want to eat it. So
I've made a conscious decision to have more plant protein on hand. Yes, I know
that plant proteins aren't as "complete" as animal proteins but I've
really had to rethink my protein and I know I can have some of both. Don't get
me wrong. I still love steak when I eat it. But I'm not so much for the pork
and chicken which is so weird. Particularly the pork. I'm a big pork lover but
not right now or as often. No idea why.
MACA
I've also taken on a new supplement. Or should I say
superfood? It's maca powder so it really is a food and not a supplement. Of
course like anything else you research on the internet you can find both
supporting and dismissing information about its health benefits. My interest in
maca has to do with the idea that it "balances your hormones". I feel
like my estrogen levels are low but I haven't had them tested. Maybe I should
but in the meantime I'm just going to take this maca and see what it does for
me. I'm on my fourth day of it and so far I haven't noticed anything. At least
I don't think I have. What I like about it is that it's not a hormone and it's
not synthetic. Some benefits that have been found for mind and body:
- Increases
energy and endurance
- Increases stamina
- Improves sexual function in men and women
- Enhances fertility in people and animals
- Reduces
hormonal dysfunction during menopause & andropause
- Can regulate hormonal imbalances
- Has a beneficial action on the circulatory system; Speeds wound healing and reduces anemia
- Enhances memory, learning, and mental ability
- Has a beneficial action on the circulatory system; gives skin a more youthful appearance
- Good for healthy teeth and bones
- Acts as a fungistatic and bacteriostatic
- Acts as an anticarcinogen and antioxidant
- Is an
alternative to anabolic steroids, helps to build muscle
- Is non addictive
MACA FLAVOR AND TASTE:
Let me just say that I am NOT a fan of maca powder flavor. I
was told and read online that it tastes like malt. Hahaha! NO! It does NOT
taste like malt - big fat lie! I've tried it in a different way each of the
last four days.
Day 1 - 1/2 tablespoon in my oatmeal -blech! Terrible! I
added tons of brown sugar and maple syrup just to try to get it down my gullet!
Day 2 - Cranberry pineapple vanilla protein smoothie with
1/2 tablespoon maca - okay but I could still taste the "earthiness"
of the maca
Day 3 - 1/2 tablespoon in about 1/2 cup milk heated - so
yucky!
Day 4 - WINNER! 1/2 tablespoon in "hot chocolate"
made with milk, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, cacao powder and sugar. This
is so far the only way I will eat it. Next time I will blend all ingredients
and then heat though because there were still some clumps.
So what have I learned? That maca in its powdered form is
really not very tasty. It tastes like ginseng and actually is called
"Peruvian ginseng". If you like the taste of roots and dirt you'll be
good to go but if not then you will have to mask the flavor of the powder or
perhaps take the capsules.
MY MACA RESULTS SO FAR (4 DAYS IN):
The other thing I've noticed is about 2-3 hours after I eat
breakfast I'm STARVING! So very very hungry! Just to note, I've been eating
bigger breakfasts so I haven't really been that hungry at that time but since
the second day of maca I've been STARVING! I have asthma and rarely have to
take my asthma inhaler but when I do I get this same hunger, like a completely
empty stomach feeling! It's crazy. This is that same hunger sensation. I'll eat
and it continues for a little while until I have lunch and then I'm fine. Could
it be that it acts as an alternative to anabolic steroids? Hmm...maybe. And
then again, maybe not. I'll have to follow and see.
Interestingly enough the other thing I've noticed over the
past two nights is that I sleep like a log! I haven't slept this deeply in a
long time so it's fantastic! I'll see if it continues but I'll take it for now.
It may not give me energy but it sure puts me to sleep! Ha! Take that
research!!
So I will keep you posted as the weeks go by. I haven't
decided yet if I'm going to do 3 weeks on, 1 week off or 3 months on, 1 month
off. I'll decide and you will get to find out through my blog postings. I am
curious if anyone else has taken it. And if so for what reasons and what are
your thoughts/results from taking it?
VEGETABLES
So, I've gotten a little more creative with my vegetables
lately. I'm just bored with veggies. That's all there is to it. My yoga teacher
had told me about this recipe they had made on Thanksgiving and it oddly
sounded good. I say oddly because it's a Brussels sprouts recipe and I'm not a
big fan of Brussels sprouts. Here's the simple recipe from Martha Stewart's
Whole Living magazine:
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Grapes with Walnuts
- 24 ounces brussels sprouts (about 8 cups), halved or quartered if large
- 24 ounces grapes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
Directions
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. On two rimmed baking sheets, toss brussels sprouts and grapes with oil and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, until caramelized and tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drizzle each tray with 1 teaspoon vinegar and scrape up any caramelized bits with a wooden spoon. Toss in walnuts.
I cut the recipe in half and also cut the sprouts in half
just so they matched up in size to the grapes. This recipe was really good. I
even went back for seconds. Yummy. I will definitely make it again.
So, this kind of started a new thing for me which is finding
new ways to make vegetables that aren't the usual way. I just can't deal with
being bored with my veggies. It's the winter and time for roasting veggies
anyway so I'm happy about that because I love roasted veggies.
I made this recipe last night that was simple and a
delicious way to get in my veggies. I'm sorry but I have no idea what the
quantities of anything are.
Asian Tofu and Baby Bok Choy Mee Krob
Mee krob noodles (very thin rice vermicelli)
Baby bok choy (cut in quarters lenghtwise)
Medium firm tofu
Low sodium soy sauce
Ginger & garlic paste (fresh ginger and garlic peeled and ground to a paste in the food processor)
Chili garlic sauce
Sesame seeds
Cook the mee krob noodles for about 2 minutes in boiling water. Drain and rinse under cold water.
Heat large pan over medium high heat. Add oil of choice and saute tofu with soy sauce and ginger and garlic paste. Add mee krob and saute. Remove to plate/bowl. Add baby bok choy, soy sauce, ginger & garlic paste, chili garlic sauce, some water. Saute until desired tenderness. Add noodles and tofu back in. Serve. Easy and delish!!!
That's about it for now. I'll be back on my blogging now since I can actually use my computer now! Yay for computers and technology that sucks away every last second you have! :-) Have a fantastic weekend!
2 comments:
I completely feel your pain when it comes to eating "normal" or what healthy really means. I have done a lot of competitions over the course of 3 years so my dieting has been pretty intense and then I binge... I took a whole year off, and felt LOST like I suddenly had no idea what to eat, or how to eat... or anything. It was really hard for me to get to that place of feeling like it is okay to eat a treat here and there or it is okay if I want to eat what I made for my family this night. Ugh. SO frustrating. I also am feeling like something is "off" whether its hormonal or not I don't know. I had my thyroid checked a couple of times and it was fine. Hormonal is my next step. Also, just read an interesting article on yeast in the body. I have all the symptoms, so I ordered a cleanse and can't wait to see if it helps me feel "normal" again! Anyway here is the link for that article. Thought you might find it interesting as well!
http://uniquehealthandwellness.com/?p=432
Thanks Kerryne for your comment. I've actually heard about the too much yeast thing. That's possible but not probable. Although a lot of the symptoms are the same. So far I'm liking the maca but like I said haven't noticed a huge difference. Thanks for posting that link. Very interesting!
Post a Comment